Thursday, June 18, 2009

carers

I have been given extra funding for respite carers and as a result will have carers 5 days a week plus extra time for outings such as ten pin bowling. I am not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, the carers allow me independence from my parents and gives me the opportunity to do stuff that I might not always be able to do otherwise.

On the other hand, having the carers come in each day means I am stuck waiting for carers to arrive before I can truly begin my day and what the routine will be depends on who my carers will be each day as there are certain tasks that only certain carers will do. I will have no day to sleep in or do whatever I want when I want in the mornings.

Don't get me wrong, I am grateful for the carers and the opportunities they give me but I do miss the freedom of my life before carers. It's a fine line and one that I'm still struggling to walk.

No comments: