Wednesday, July 1, 2009

inspiration

For me, as a person with disabilities its not so much about the fact that I signed up for a different destination, but it is about making the most of the opportunities that Holland offers me.

You see, seeing as I was born with some of my disabilities I have only known Holland. Perhaps, if I were to have experienced Italy before being taken onto a flight into Holland then my view of the world and my lot in life might be different. Having said that I can’t say I understand and accept everything in relation to being disabled and I am not like a few of my friends who say that they wouldn’t want to not be disabled.

I would love to be able to go for a run and feel the wind in my hair, I would love to be able to drive and even just to take the stairs one day instead of using the lift. I wonder what it is like to slow dance with someone you love? These are all relatively simple things that I’ll never get to experience and I am sure that if I didn’t have CP I would have experienced most, if not all, of them by now.

I have been called an inspiration many times throughout recent years (especially since I started my own websites) and I try to encourage people to make the best of their situations and not to worry about the things that they cannot change.

They say that what doesn’t kill you, makes you stronger and that God doesn’t give us more than we can handle and well, if that’s the case I can understand why some people might see me as a strong person but I’ll never understand why they see me as inspirational. You see, I am just doing the best I can to be true to myself and reach my dreams and if I manage to help other people along the way, then I guess that’s just the way it was supposed to happen.

No comments: